|Sat 19 Jan 2013, 11:00am–6:00pm|
Waitangi Park will again be awash with the vibrant sights, sounds and flavours of the Pacific. Positively Pasifika celebrates the theme We Are the Ocean; built on strong community roots, a proud voyaging heritage, and concerns for ocean sustainability. It's a chance for all whose ancestors arrived by sea to celebrate our relationship with the ocean.
9.30am: We Are the Ocean Procession. In the spirit of converging waters, a sea of people will depart Civic Square for Waitangi Park. Meet at Jack Ilott Green to join the procession.
- get an authentic taste of village life as local Pacific communities share cultures, traditions, and delicious food unique to Oceania; Samoan tatau, Tongan tapa-making, Niuean weaving, Tokelau craft, and learn different ways to tie a Cook Island pareu
- cultural performances
- ukulele workshop (BYO ukulele) to learn a Cook Island ditty
- learn about traditional navigation and epic stories of the Pacific
- learn about our oceans and sustainability
- vote for your favourite in the chop suey taste-off
- Te Hokai a Tagaloa - Te Papa Kids' activities tent - keep the little ones entertained with Island craft, song and storytelling, taonga puoro and ukulele playing
- the best local homegrown Pacific talent, including rising Pasifika finalists battling it out for supremacy in NiuFM’s Niu Taleni.
More Positively Pasifika activities in and around Festival day are confirmed regularly. 'Like' Summer City Wellington on Facebook or download the Summer City smart phone app to stay in the loop.
Before you go, would you like to subscribe to our free weekly newsletter with events happening in your area, competitions for free tickets and CD giveaways?
Enter your email below, click on the Sign Up button and we’ll send you on your way
Continuing confirms your acceptance of our terms of service.