Queen St, Auckland CBD, Auckland
Aotea Square is a large paved public area in the Auckland CBD used for open-air public events including fairs, protest rallies, music festivals, rock concerts and the annual seeing-in of the New Year.
A number of art works are in Aotea Square:
• Archway 'Waharoa' (Gateway in Māori) was formed in wood and copper by Selwyn Muru, a Māori sculptor. This is an expressionist version of a traditional Māori entry gate.
• Bronze statue of Sir Dove-Myer Robinson, a former mayor of Auckland. This work was made in 2003 by New Zealand sculptor Toby Twiss.
• Bronze figure of a Māori warrior by Lyndon Smith, commissioned in the 1960s for the lobby of the Auckland Saving Bank's new building on Queen Street.
• Fountain by New Zealand sculptor Terry Stringer. This angular bronze ""mountain"" was commissioned in 1979 to form the centrepiece for the new square, and its form echoes the roofline of the contemporary Aotea Centre.
• 19th century bronze statue of George Eden, Lord Auckland, Governor of India, after whom the Auckland is named. This statue was originally erected in Calcutta and was purchased from the government of India by Auckland City Council in the early 1960s.
Posted: Monday 16 May 2016
Posted: Thursday 11 December 2014
Posted: Monday 1 September 2014
Posted: Thursday 12 June 2014
Posted: Wednesday 20 June 2012
Aotea Square, Fri 20 Mar 2015
Aotea Square, Sun 22 Mar 2015
Aotea Square, Wed 4 Mar 2015 – Sun 22 Mar 2015
Aotea Square, Tue 19 Jan 2016 – Wed 20 Jan 2016
Aotea Square, Fri 22 Jan 2016
Aotea Square, Sat 23 Jan 2016
Aotea Square, Thu 18 Feb 2016
Aotea Square, Sun 15 Mar 2015
Aotea Square, Wed 23 Apr 2014
Aotea Square, Sat 14 Dec 2013
Aotea Square, Wed 4 Sep 2013 – Sun 8 Sep 2013
Aotea Square, Mon 5 Mar 2012
Aotea Square, Wed 18 Mar 2015
Aotea Square, Sat 13 Dec 2014
Aotea Square, Fri 30 May 2014
Aotea Square, Mon 9 Dec 2013 – Sat 21 Dec 2013
Aotea Square, Sat 15 Dec 2012
Aotea Square, Sat 27 Oct 2012 – Sat 3 Nov 2012
Aotea Square, Thu 22 Mar 2012 – Sat 24 Mar 2012
Copyright © 2005–2016 Eventfinda Limited
Before you go, would you like to subscribe to our free weekly newsletter with events happening in your area, competitions for free tickets and CD giveaways?
Enter your email below, click on the Sign Up button and we’ll send you on your way
Continuing confirms your acceptance of our terms of service.