|Sun 23 Apr 2017, 2:00pm–3:30pm|
The climax of the Bay of Plenty Music School 2017 weekend of music-making is the public concert. At it you will be able to hear a symphony orchestra, concert band and choir perform separately, as well as in one massive combined item featuring all 120 or so musicians.
There will be three experienced conductors, who will have been leading the weekend. They are Rupert D’Cruze (Orchestra), Kathleen Mulligan (Concert Band) and Chalium Poppy (Choir).
And what’s more, the concert is very affordable, as entry is by donation. This makes it an excellent opportunity to introduce people, especially youngsters, to some exciting and moving music - both modern and classic.
Doors open at 1:30pm. Patrons are advised to come early to get a good park.
The programme for the concert, which will last for about an hour and a half, will be drawn from the following items, which are being explored over the weekend:
- Peter Warlock - Capriol Suite for string orchestra
- Tchaikovsky - Nutcracker Suite op.71a
- Bernstein arr. Jack Mason - West Side Story - Selections for Orchestra
- Arr Thornton - Three Bach Pieces
- J Chattaway - Parade of the Tall Ships
- G Holst - Suite from The Planets
- J Tatgenhorst - Hyde Park Overture
- Arr. R Phillippe - Mamma Mia
- Arr. Berry - Bohemian Rhapsody
- P La Plante - American Riversongs
- G Gershwin - Prelude II from Preludes for
- Stanford Scriven - Jesus Christ the Apple Tree
- Morten Lauridsen - Veni Sancte Spiritus (from Lux Aeterna)
- Eric Whitacre - Sleep
- Frank Ticheli - There Will Be Rest
- Eriks Esenvalds - Only In Sleep
- Ola Gjeilo - Pulcra Es
- Ngāti Maniapoto/Alfred Hill arr. Brent Stewart
- Orch. Ryan Youens - A Te Tarakihi (The Cicada)
Boiler Room, Whakatane, Bay of Plenty
Fri 12 May 9:00pm
Before you go, would you like to subscribe to our free weekly newsletter with events happening in your area, competitions for free tickets and CD giveaways?
Enter your email below, click on the Sign Up button and we’ll send you on your way
Continuing confirms your acceptance of our terms of service.