Map showing Alexandra Redoubt

Phone: (04) 472 4341

Amenities: Carpark

Suitable for Ages: Families

This is one of the best preserved earthworks of the New Zealand Wars. It was built by the Armed Constabulary in 1869, when Pirongia (then called Alexandra) was garrisoned because it was near the border of the King Country, then in effect an independent Maori state. The two Alexandra redoubts were intended as places of refuge for local families. There is still a full 2 metres of escarpment from the bottom of the ditch to the top of the bank.