Venue Types: Home & Garden, Public space

Amenities: Toilets, Food Available, Carpark, Wheelchair Access

Suitable for Ages: Families

The Dunedin Botanic Garden is New Zealand’s oldest. It was established in 1863 on a site surrounding the Water of Leith which is now occupied by the University of Otago.

After extensive flooding in 1868, the gardens were moved to their current site at the northern end of central Dunedin, just two kilometres from the Octagon - in Dunedin’s central city - and near one of the city’s most historic cemeteries.

There are two parts to the gardens - an upper and lower section which cover part of Signal Hill and the river plain below.

Extending over 28 hectares, there are more than 6,800 plant species and a variety of special features incorporated in the more formal lower gardens rising up to hillside native forest.

The gardens feature a large number of rhododendron species which date back to the early days of establishment.

Map showing Dunedin Botanic Garden