Map showing Melanesian Mission Dining Hall

Phone: (04) 472 4341

Suitable for Ages: Families

The Melanesian Mission House was opened in 1859 to coincide with the arrival of 38 Melanesians on board the Mission vessel, Southern Cross. Its life as a training facility was shortlived, however, when 14 of the students died from a dysentery epidemic in 1863/64. Shortly after, the headquarters of the Mission moved to Norfolk Island.

By 1915 only the stone dining hall block remained, the rest of the buildings had been removed or used to repair or build farm houses and outbuildings on the Melanesian Estate.

Exterior viewing only.