Map showing Te Teoteo's Pa and Whangamarino Redoubt

Phone: (04) 472 4341

Suitable for Ages: Families

Whangamarino Redoubt is a historic site overlooking the Waikato River, containing the remains of earthworks built by the British army in 1863. From a platform below the south side of the redoubt a battery of guns shelled the Maori position at Meremere to the south. Te Teoteo's pa is on a loop track about 150m away.

Te Teoteo’s Pa was built on the site of an old pa in 1863 to repel the advance into Waikato of British troops from Queens Redoubt (Pokeno). After several skirmishes and the death of up to 30 Maori, Te Huirama’s men retreated south. British forces occupied the abandoned pa and built the nearby Whangamarino Redoubt, from which they bombarded the Maori position at Meremere.

The pa, situated on the end of a ridge overlooking the Waikato River, affords magnificent views. To the south behind the former Meremere power station you can see Meremere Redoubt, and visualise the opposing forces readying for battle.

The site is located between Auckland and Hamilton, off State Highway 1. Turn off along Oram Road, about 5km north of Meremere. Park just beyond the bridge. From here there is a circuit walk to the pa and the redoubt.

Te Teoteo photograph by Melanie Charters.