Fairy Springs Rd, Rotorua
Rainbow Springs has come a long way since the land was first purchased in 1929. While there were many developments, there was always one vision for the land, that was to create a wildlife park with a strong focus on conservation.
Today the Park is an award-winning tourist attraction with great features including kiwi, trout, tuatara, sheep, native birds and trees, New Zealand’s only ‘open to view’ kiwi hatchery and rearing facility and of course The Big Splash - a 9 minute flume ride which takes you on a journey through the ecological evolution of New Zealand and finishes with an adrenaline pumping 12m, 45degree big splash down!
Our responsible tourism policy: to showcase the clean green image of New Zealand while advocating and educating visitors about conservation and our unique natural heritage.
Where else can you see kiwi foraging in their natural habitat, a huge array of wildlife, trout being hand-fed in beautiful spring fed pools and stunning New Zealand landscape.
With so much to experience up close and personal, day or night there are plenty of attractions to keep you and your family engaged for hours.
Whether it is night or day, there is plenty to see and do:
* Watch New Zealand’s own kiwi in their natural environment as they forage for food.
* View the nocturnal kiwi when it comes out at night in an outdoor walk through enclosure.
* Feed the trout in the crystal clear spring fed pools and see them close up in the underwater viewer.
* See the trout circle at night in the spectacularly lit Rainbow Pool.
* Spot the kea, kaka, weka and many more native birds in the aviaries and amongst the trees.
* Check out the tuatara – a living dinosaur
* Admire the native New Zealand bush surroundings with over 90 different native plants, trees and ferns throughout the park.
* Walk by the crystal clear mineral water that flows directly from the subterranean springs throughout the park.
Kiwi Encounter operates guided tours daily on the hour between 10.00am and 4.00pm.
Before you go, would you like to subscribe to our free weekly newsletter with events happening in your area, competitions for free tickets and CD giveaways?
Enter your email below, click on the Sign Up button and we’ll send you on your way
Continuing confirms your acceptance of our terms of service.