Map showing Ngongotaha League Club Rooms

Phone: 07 3453 322

Ngongotaha Rugby League club was first established in 1938. The club went into recess during the war years, then there were times when the club changed to Hui Mai, Awahou and Waitete. These were Marae-based teams from Ngongotaha. Eventually the club was re-established as Ngongotaha Rugby League.

In the '80s, 2 teams toured Australia under the guidance of Nick and Jenny Nahu who would become the backbone of the club. As coach of the club Nick took the under-17s team to Australia in 1982 and 1984. Both teams were unbeaten.

All throughout its years the club never had its own club rooms. The committee would have to hire other club or hall venues for after-match or club functions. In the '80s, the committee formed a building fundraising group. They struggled to find a piece of land they could afford to buy, until the Rotorua District Council made the generous offer of the last section at Neil Hunt Park. This was an annual lease arrangement for which the members were incredibly grateful.

Through lots of hard work and dedication, the club rooms were built, and at last we had a home of our own (no more carting our pots and dishes into someone else's buildings). Over the years the club room has been used for weddings and other functions. It has recently had a makeover and is available to hire for functions, meetings and conferences.

Are you responsible for Ngongotaha League Club Rooms? Claim it