Phone: 07 871 9018

Pirongia, originally Alexandra, was a garrison settlement established in 1864 to guard lands confiscated from Maori tribes by the Government.

The Centre operates in an historic church which was originally built in 1901 on the Alexandra Constabulary Redoubt site in Pirongia. It now stands in the centre of the village and is used as a historical information centre. The Committee collects and researches the history of the local area, and organises historical and archaeological tours, information evenings and group visits. Information on the life of the renowned author, Mary Scott who lived near Pirongia is featured.

Map showing Pirongia Historic Visitor Centre